MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE COMMITTEE CONSTITUTED TO LOOK INTO ISSUES RELATING TO MAIL NETWORK OPTIMIZATION PROJECT
In accordance with the instructions issued vide Directorate memo No.08/9/2011-SR dated 12.7.11, the Committee constituted to look into issues relating to Mail Network Optimization Project met on 27.09.11. The meeting was attended by the following:
(i) Ms. Manjula Prasher, Member (Operations)
(ii) Ms. Shanthi S. Nair, CPMG, TN Circle
(iii) Shri Rishikesh, Director (Mail Management)
(iv) Shri M. Krishnan, Secretary General (NFPE)
(v) Shri D. Theagarajan, Secretary General (FNPO)
2. The terms of reference of the Committee were as follows:-
"The Committee will review the mail arrangement made as sequel to creation of Speed Post Hubs which, as represented by Staff Side, are causing delay as compared to the position prevailing earlier. The committee will also review the formation of L-1 and L-II in regard to First Class Mail".
3. Member (Operations) apprised the representatives of the staff side on the initiatives taken as part of Mail Network Optimization Project to improve the quality of Speed Post operations. She also stated that improvement in quality of mail related services was the key objective of the project, and hence, the staff side should fully cooperate with the administration in this endeavour. She further informed that cases relating to delay and back-routing of mail in certain areas have been reviewed and necessary action is being taken. For this purpose, mail arrangements have already been revised in case of HP, Haryana, Punjab, UP, Uttarakhand and AP Circles. Cases relating to other Circles are also being examined.
4. It was informed that instances of delay and back-routing of mail relating to Speed Post operations brought to the notice by the staff side are being looked into and necessary action is being taken for revision in existing mail arrangements wherever necessary. The staff side was also requested to give concrete suggestions on any particular area where improvement is needed. These suggestions would be sent by the staff side within a week. The staff side also agreed with the concept of new sorting hubs for Speed Post operations and opined that at best, a few more intra-Circle Speed Post hubs might be required to strengthen the operational network.
5. The features of performance monitoring tool, such as Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) website and analysis of performance of the Circles through video conference were explained in detail to the staff side. The staff side appreciated the efforts made in this area.
6. Member (Operations) informed that implementation of the network redesign concept for First and Second Class mail was equally crucial. The proposed network redesign seeks to minimize fragmentation in the processing of mail across the existing network, streamline processes followed in the mail offices, provide new tools and equipments for use in mail offices and put in place a technology-enabled environment for mail operations.
7. The staff side demanded copies of the reports submitted by the Consultants on restructuring of Speed Post and First Class mail network. It was agreed that relevant sections of the reports pertaining to operational restructuring would be provided to the staff side.
8. The staff side agreed and appreciated the concept for network redesign for First Class mail. However, they expressed their apprehensions about transfers of the staff concerned in near future. They requested that an assurance may be given that the staff concerned will not be transferred for a specific period.
9. It was decided that the Committee would again meet on 10.10.11 to discuss issues relating to improvement in Speed Post operations based on the suggestions received from the staff side and the Heads of Circles, if any, and implementation of the network redesign concept for First and Second class mail.
The meeting ended with a vote of thanks to the Chair.
Secretary General NFPE